Going on holiday is an excuse to show off your best wardrobe pieces, whether that’s rocking an all-white linen suit, or a stunning silk dress. But holidays can also pose challenges when it comes to maintaining clean and fresh clothes. Whether you're backpacking through Europe, embarking on a tropical getaway, or exploring a new city, it's essential to know how to wash and care for your clothes on the go. That’s why we are sharing some practical tips and tricks to help you keep your garments clean, neat, and ready to wear while relaxing on your holiday.
Before you even set off on your trip, consider packing clothes that are easy to wash and dry quickly. Try to choose lightweight, quick-drying fabrics that won't take up much space in your luggage. Also, it is helpful to pick garments that can be mixed and matched to create multiple outfits so you can travel lighter!
While travelling, handwashing is a practical and efficient way to clean your clothes, letting you wear your favourite dress a few more times. For holiday handwashing your everyday pieces, our Eco Travel Wash refreshes your clothes, and its powdered format means it’s leak-free and doesn’t even have to go in your liquids!
To use it, here's a step-by-step guide:
- Fill a sink or basin with lukewarm water and add a couple of capfuls of our Travel Wash. Agitate the water slightly so the detergent and the water mingle together.
- Soak your clothes in the soapy water and gently agitate them to remove dirt and stains. Leave your clothes to soak for about 15 - 30 minutes.
- Now, rinse your clothes thoroughly with clean water until the water runs clear.
- For drying, gently squeeze out excess water gently without wringing or twisting the fabric, then hang or leave your garments to air dry outside. If your fabrics are coloured, do not leave them in direct sunlight! If they’re white, then a bit of sunshine can help brighten them up.
If you have any special fabrics with you, such as a cashmere cardigan, or a silk dress, then our specialist detergents are available in their mini sizes. The 50ml bottles keep your special fabrics protected, such as our detergents for Cashmere, Sportswear, and Silk - plus, their little size fits into your hand luggage liquids!
Avoid the wash with a clothing deodoriser
To avoid having to wash your clothes at all while on holiday, if they are not actually dirty then we recommend giving them a refresh with a clothes deodoriser. Our Clothing Spritz scented with White Tea and Mint has natural antibacterial qualities that remove impurities and any lingering odours. So give your clothes a spritz or two and cut down on a wash.
To minimise clothes wrinkles while travelling, try these tips:
- a) Roll your clothes instead of folding them when packing. This method helps reduce creases.
- b) Hang your garments after washing to allow them to air dry and regain their shape.
- c) Use our crease release spray to smooth out fabrics! Our Steamer Water is scented with Blue Lily and Bergamot that makes your clothes smell like fresh laundry and helps remove fabric wrinkles - so you don’t need to stress about that crinkled dress!
Keep your clothes smelling stunning
To keep your wardrobe oozing freshness, pack a scent bag into your suitcase. These little bags full of dried herbs help keep your clothes (and wardrobe!) beautifully scented, while also protecting them from any unseen moths.
Taking care of your clothes while on holiday doesn't have to be a hassle. With a little planning and some basic know-how, you can keep your garments fresh, clean, and looking gorgeous!
To shop all of your travel essentials in one page, explore our travel collection page.