If you exercise, or even if you don't, you'll probably know that outdoor and activewear can be a pain to get really clean. Do you feel as though, no matter how many times you wash your gym kit, the smell will never be gone? We've got you!
That's right, we've got the best tips and tricks to keep your activewear odour-free for good, so your laundry doesn't have to be a workout!
TIPS BEFORE YOU WASH
- Wash your sportswear as soon as possible after wearing - you don't want the odours to linger and proliferate!
- If you can't wash immediately, leave your sweaty clothes to air after use, rather than shoving them into a gym bag or hamper. Try hanging them on the back of your door, or if this isn't practical, a mesh bag is a good compromise.
- Turn the clothes inside out to wash! Since most of the sweat and oils will be on the inside of the clothing, washing clothes inside out will target this more quickly.
- If machine washing, don't overfill your washing machine. This will make it harder for the liquid to be rinsed away, taking your odours with it!
OUR TOP TIPS
- No need to go overboard on detergent. Believe it or not, doubling up your detergent beyond the recommended dose won't make the clothes cleaner. Our Eco Wash for Sportswear is quite concentrated, so 1.5/2.5 caps will be plenty for a lighter load, and 3/4 caps for a fuller load.
- Avoid fabric softener - it's sportwear's worst enemy. Instead of making your clothes cleaner, fabric softener will create a barrier that locks stinky smells in, preventing moisture from evaporating.
- You can also try adding baking soda to your wash. Baking soda is a known deodoriser, so adding a tablespoon to your wash will help to fight even the toughest of stinks. White vinegar and lemon juice also have a similar effect, so try out whichever you've got around the house.
FINDING MUD OR SWEAT STAINS?
For an extra boost to lift mud and sweat stains on your workout clothes, you can do a pre-soak using our No.10 Stain Removal to give your activewear some tough love. Simply pop the stained area, or the whole item into a bowl of warm water, sprinkle on our stain removal granules and ideally rub them into the area gently with a sponge or your fingers. Leave to soak then throw the whole lot into the machine with your Eco Wash for Sportswear,
- Machine drying your sportswear is a no go, since this can wear down the performance fabrics. Furthermore, sometimes, machines don’t get clothes completely dry, and then they sit in a hot, moist pile waiting for you to take them out of the dryer. Not the best move for freshness! Letting them hang-dry ensures they get constant air flow as moisture evaporates.
Shop our full range to make laundry day a breeze!